Just Make It

If you make stuff, life is always interesting. Art, fiber, critters, creation, reading, prayer,serenity, and insanity...this is my way. Maybe it is yours as well.

Vanity spot

My photo
I am a Compassionate Companion Of Christ. We are a tiny new order of men and women who pour themselves out in the service of others by walking with them in their difficult journeys. We companion anyone at all, anywhere, who are undergoing the suffering of illness, dying, bereavement, poverty, old age, or hunger. Our job is to see Christ in the suffering and to offer love, dignity, and help where possible in His name. We strive to let them know that they are children of God and that He is with them always regardless of external circumstances. How we do this is the purpose of this blog. Our symbol is the compass, the first part of the word "compassion" and the visible representation of our vocation to serve wherever and whoever we are called to serve.

Friday 6 May 2011

Go Ahead. Prove Me Wrong!

 Everything in the world is either a banana, or it is NOT a banana.

This one is from many, many moons ago when I was first introduced to the study of logic in a first year uni philosophy class.  It was the first time that I understood that education wasn't to teach one facts, 'ology's or 'ism's, but that it was to teach us how to think.  I learned thinking wasn't just whatever random zots passed through my brain, but that thinking as a discipline required some training in the methodology of logical progression, argument, and construction.


I also learned over the years that you cannot use logic when dealing with irrational people, non-thinkers, emoters, or people who use the verb 'to feel' as a synonym of 'to think'.  
" I feel that the fixed link bridge to the mainland will cause great hardship to the lesser -striped dung beetle."
Do you 'feel' that this is so?  Or, do you, as a result of reading documentation, factual reports, and scientific journals, THINK that this is so?  If this is what you feel then I am not in the slightest bit interested, heretical though this may be in this age of touchy-feely.  If you have actually thought it through (and are not just gushing forth with a sound-byte from a television interview) then I am happy to hear you out and if what you say has merit, I will adjust my own thinking accordingly.  See the difference?

Let's go back to that banana.  I have introduced this many times as a topic of argument, and been amused at how many people just 'feel' that this is incorrect although there is no way to argue it successfully.  
" But what if it's a chair? "
" Then it isn't a banana is it? "
" Okay but if it's a plantain, it is pretty much a banana. "
" Yet it is NOT a banana."
" Okay, what about if it is in a fruit bowl?"
" Then it is a banana in a bowl of fruit.  You are a moron."
It is simple, elegant, beautiful, and obvious, therefore emoters and feelers really hate it.

Do I have feelings?  You bet I do.  However, those 'feelings' should not colour or bias my logical thought processes, but only my emotional processes.  I can have feelings about the results of logical thought though.

We're next !
After giving it some hard thought I have come to the conclusion that western civilization because of its addiction to hedonistic pleasure, lack of personal responsibility, uncaring taking of innocent life, and relentless drive to accumulate more and more stuff, is going to implode and collapse like all of the mighty empires of history.

This makes me feel quite depressed indeed. I think I had better go and get some ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment